Wednesday, May 1, 2013

OUT WITH THE NEW - IN WITH THE OLD ?

Antique Cameras, Vintage Bikes, Cars & a lot of WD-40


Now that I'm in between semesters, I actually have time to breathe! I've been filling my days with working out, cooking, reading and restoring antiques? I've always had a fascination with old knick knacks but never been one to spend my free time sifting through antique shops and thrift stores looking for buried treasure. But recently I've been finding myself acquiring pretty cool pieces that might make me change my mind about taking the occasional stroll through Goodwill or the Salvation Army. 


1970s Schwinn Cruiser
In the book: The Secret, according to the law of attraction, if you ask the universe for something you will receive it. I have been wanting a cruiser bike for quite a while now, so maybe the universe decided to surprise me with a 1970s Schwinn Cruiser? Maybe coincidence, maybe fate but either way I'll take it. A good friend of mine found this bike on the side of the road and planned to restore it, they ended up asking me if I wanted it and I took it off their hands with great pleasure. It was a fun project to complete and even better being that my grandfather helped me the whole way through. So after a lot of sanding, painting, new tires, handle bar grips and a silver bell, my cruiser is as good as new and great form of exercise to add to my regimen.

After Restoration

                                                   

                                                                                                                           
1950s Kodak Duaflex II


Like I said, I keep acquiring antiques. Last week my grandparents celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary! We threw them a surprise party and I put together a slide show with all their old pictures. While sneaking around their house looking through boxes of pictures while they weren't home, I found this camera! I fell in love with it. It was given to my grandfather in 1950 before he left for the Korean War. He documented his stay in Korea with this camera, taking  photographs of himself to send to my grandmother, (how romantic!) After showing so much interest in it,he gave it to me! I'm super excited to find some old film and start shooting. 

My beautiful grandparents in 1952
My handsome Nano, snapping a shot of himself in Korea 1950





1965 Karmann Ghia



This is one antique that I don't think I'll be "acquiring" any time soon, but sticking with the theme of the post I decided to throw it in. One day I'd love to restore and cruise around one of these on the weekends, but until then the picture will have to suffice.





No comments:

Post a Comment