Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Healthy Eating

Diets Don't Always Have to Mean Salad



Spaghetti Squash w/Spicy Turkey Sausage
After many years of unfulfilled New Years Resolutions, I've recently decided to change my eating habits and increase my workout regimen in order to shed a few pounds. I decided that taking the "low carb" approach would be the quickest and most effective route to weight loss. So out the door went all of my favorite foods, no more Cuban bread, penne pasta with vodka sauce, yellow rice to accompany my chicken etc. This was no easy task, especially being Italian and Cuban where carbs are a staple of EVERY meal. 

So after a week of complete torture I knew I had to find creative alternatives to my new found "carb-less" lifestyle. So I began my journey through recipes in search of bread and pasta substitutes. And despite popular belief they exist!




     Ta-Da! Breadless Pizza!
Absolutely delicious pizza made with a
cauliflower crust, recipe adapted from "Fat Girl In A Skinny Body".


Here's What To Do:
- Take 1 cauliflower head, remove the stalk and place falourettes into a food processor.
-Pulse the cauliflower into small grains and
measure out 2 cups.
-Microwave cauliflower for 7 minutes and allow time for cooling before adding in the following ingredients.
-Beat and add 2 eggs (1 egg including yolk &
1 egg white)to the cauliflower
-2 cups low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
-2 tsp of Italian seasonings (dried basil,
oregano & parsley)

-1/2 tsp. salt
- Spray a pizza pan with non-stick olive oil 
and form your crust.
-Preheat oven @ 450 and place crust in for 12
to 15 mins. (At about 12 minutes I added pesto to the entire crust and baked for an additional 3 minutes)
-Add sauce, cheese and toppings and bake until cheese is melted!






No comments:

Post a Comment